The Union Street Cafe
Kitchen Assistant / Prep Cook/ Dishwasher
The Union Street
183 Commercial St, Berwick, NS
Work in one of the Valley’s most well-known Restaurants – Incredible Food with a local focus; Amazing Music and the opportunity to learn from the best in the fast-paced Food Services Industry! A great career-starter job.
Works alongside head chef, line cooks and assist salad prep to carry out daily kitchen activities, aiding with menu preparation, ensuring food quality and freshness, and monitoring product levels. Provides meal quality and consistency by following designated recipes and prep instructions.
Full-time 30 hours per week. Evenings / Weekends required
$11.55 per hour
Candidate must meet NS START program eligibility
Attn: Virginia Fynes
Or drop off resumes between:
1:30-5pm or 7-9pm. Mon – Sun
*Clean, neat, and hygienic appearance is necessary. Dress is casual and comfortable, just no spaghetti straps or short-shorts. Non-slip shoes required
Required Experience and Qualifications:
Food Handlers / Food Safe Certification
Willingness and interest to be trained in kitchen duties
Necessary Skills and Attributes:
Teamwork and positivity
Ability to work under pressure
Strong organizational skills
Attention to detail
Communication skills; with team members, industry suppliers
Appropriate workplace hygiene
Work with minimal supervision
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Inspect the cleanliness and working condition of all tools, equipment and supplies
- Follow instructions and work on priority items as established each day
- Ability to prep food items according to standards outlined by the Head Chef
- Independently work the dish pit area
- Sanitation of kitchen equipment including- meat slicer, food processor, Hobart mixer, deep fryer, fry slicer, refrigerators and freezers.
- Ability to read order chits and ensure quality, proper presentation, and timing is met.
Dish washing Duties:
- Washing and sanitizing dishes, pots, utensils, etc.
- Utilizing the dishwasher
- Maintaining a clean kitchen
- Returning dishes to their proper locations
- Keep floor dry and safe
- Scrape plates
- Follow prep list for daily and weekly requirements
- Prioritize items according to stock levels
- Washing, peeling, slicing, dicing vegetables according to recipe instructions
- Portion various ingredients according to recipe instructions (nuts, cheese, garnishes, etc)
- Preparation of proteins; portioning, forming hamburger patties, de-boning chicken, slicing deli meats.
- Making home-cut french fries, blanching, soaking, and deep frying
- Preparing fish batter, appropriately portioning according to customer order, and deep-frying
- Plating appetizers and other deep fried items
- Assist with salad preparation
- Assist with special dishes
- Learning about seasonal produce and how to prepare
- Assist with catering organization
- Assist with deep cleaning and overall kitchen maintenance
- Temperature checks of kitchen equipment
Health and Safety / Food Standards
Maintain and strictly abide by provincial sanitation/health regulations
Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment, properly and safely
Organization, Product Rotation and Waste Reduction
Keeps cooking stations stocked, especially before and during prime operation hours
Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain foretasted food cost
Works with existing systems to improve waste reduction and manage budgetary concerns
Verifies that food storage units all meet standards and are consistently well-managed
Maintains an organized and clean kitchen
Required to talk / hear other staff members and to see, to safely navigate a fast-paced kitchen
Properly and fully inspect ingredients and assess prepared items for quality.
Required to stand and walk; lift and/or move up to 20-30 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Required to move quickly; bend and twisting.
Hand – eye coordination and fine motor skills required for food preparation; slicing, dicing, chopping, measuring, decorative adornments, plating.
Must have good working knowledge of the English language ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to communicate in English with guests, co-workers and management to their understanding.
For more information or to apply contact:Lynn Silver
Tel: 902-678-7410 Ext. 204