Job Ad: Wolfville Farmers’ Market Assistant
The Wolfville Farmers’ market is a vibrant year-round Market, usually with over 70 farm, artisan and chef vendors. We are engaged in the farmers market movement, active supporters of our vendors, have numerous partnerships with community groups, we are progressive in our programming and passionate about creating the best experience possible to reflect and nourish our community. We offer excellent mentorship for youth eager to make a difference in their community, while gaining an invaluable professional development experience.
- June 15-August 31 (10 weeks)
- 35 hrs/week
The role of the Wolfville Farmers’ Market Assistant will be to provide promotional, administrative and logistical coordination to the new and evolving Outdoor Summertime Market and support to the WFM2Go online market and delivery service.
This is an opportunity for someone who is passionate about both food and community and especially the relationship between food and community development. It is for someone highly organized, creative and professional; someone who can both be comfortable and enthusiastic when promoting the Market; and also someone who can be on their feet working to set-up and tear-down a Market for a physically demanding workday.
Having positive, clear and customer service-like communications with partners, vendors and the attending community, musicians and volunteers is essential to the smooth operation of the Market, and also to its development as a responsive organization.
We offer the same respect to our employees, working to ensure they have a great work experience, gaining the skills needed to get closer to their own aspirations.
- Flexible hours, except must be able to work very long Saturdays (exact hours not yet determined)
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Coordinating the logistics for an Outdoor Summertime Market
- Working with Partners including vendors, Town Staff and the Market Team to create a safe yet enjoyable Market experience.
- Helping to Promote this Outdoor Market
- Leading the set-up and tear-down of this Market
- Assisting with upkeep of market including manual tasks like watering plants, and putting out the garbage
Possible Learning Opportunities:
- Must be able to work on your feet, lifting and moving things around for one ten hour day each week
- Proficient in using Google Drive
- Able to work in a self directed manner as well as part of a team
- Able to communicate effectively and passionately to promote the Market
- Demonstrated professionalism, dependability, and attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Demonstrated communication and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated planning, organizational and time management skills
- Strategic and effective use of social media
- Skills with Photography and Videography an asset
- Project management skills
- Learn skills in adapting and operationalizing new systems
- Develop collaborative communication skills within a cooperative, team based organization
How to Apply:
Please provide a Cover Letter which explains why you want to be the Wolfville Farmers’ Market Assistant, as well as your Resume with References included by June 11th. Please email to: email@example.com
This position is dependent on us receiving a Canada Summer Jobs Grant and these grants have the following criteria. Applicants must be:
- Able to comfortably work in both a physically demanding and fast paced Market-Day environment as well as independently.
- Comfortable putting up tents and moving picnic tables, lifting up to 30 lbs and working on your feet for one long day.
- Able to comfortably lift up to 30 lbs (signs, boxes, picnic tables, etc) and push 200 lb booths on wheels
- between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
- Priority will be given to applicants who are minorities or of indigenous background.
Kelly Marie Redcliffe
Manager, Wolfville Farmers' Market