Through this workshop participants will learn how racial equity tools are designed to integrate explicit consideration of racial equity in decisions, including policies, practices, programs and budgets. Tools are both a product and a process. Use of a racial equity tool can help to develop strategies and actions that reduce racial inequities and improve success for all groups by:
- Proactively seeking to eliminate racial inequities and advance equity;
- Identifies clear goals, objectives and measurable outcomes;
- Engages community in decision-making processes;
- Identifies who will benefit or be burdened by a given decision, examines potential unintended consequences of a decision;
- Develops strategies to advance racial equity and mitigate unintended negative consequences;
- Develops mechanisms for successful implementation and evaluation of impact.
Too often policies and programs are developed and implemented without thoughtful consideration of racial equity. Racial equity tools provide structure for institutionalizing the consideration of racial equity.